Wednesday, August 19, 2009

NFC Predictions and Players to Watch

ANDDDDDDDDDDDD your NFC predictions. Keep in mind these are 100% factual and WILL happen, especially considering my track record picking games. I'm basically a guru. Enjoy.

NFC North: Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions

I really thought long and hard (about 30 seconds) about whether to put the Pack on top or the Vikings. Certainly the Favre storyline, although really a dead horse at this point, will be actually exciting once the games actually start. I just think that with the addition of The Great One (not Gretzky), you would be nuts to not pick the Vikings to win. Whether it turns out that way is anyone's guess. I think Aaron Rodgers is going to have a monster season, and establish himself as a top 5 QB without question. My only issue with the Packers is their switch to the 3-4. In one season, can they have the mastery of the scheme, as well as the correct personnel to execute it? I doubt it. They're gonna give up some points, even with the quality starters that D has. The Bears pretty much suck, in my opinion. Even with my boy Cutler. The Lions will improve vastly this year, and I really do mean that. I have a lot of faith in Jim Shwartz, and I expect a lot from their rookies too, which I'll talk about later.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: RB AP, QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Greg Jennings, WR Jordy Nelson, NT Ryan Pickett, MLB Larry Foote, TE Greg Olsen

NFC South: Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Bucs

I picked the Falcons because I think Matt Ryan is the next superstar QB and that he can will that team to victory. With the addition of Tony G I think that they will be a dynamic offense. Their D will be just good enough. Next, I have the Saints. I think their D will be much improved and Brees will do his thing, as usual. Will Jesus in Cleats, Reggie Bush, actually perform this year? Who knows, but the Saints O is too much to keep down this year. Everyone else seems to be picking the Panthers to win this division, but I have them third because of questions about their interior D-line and their QB situation. Their running game will be sick, but in this tough division it will be good for second or third. Lastly, the Bucs, with their new head coach and young roster, are just too inexperienced to take this one. Their running game should be excellent, however, and I think Earnest Graham is a beast. Whether it's Freeman or Leftwich or whoever under center, they're just not good enough, and the D is young and talented, but not good enough right now.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: LT Donald Penn, RG Davin Joseph, RG Jahri Evans, CB Tracy Porter, LB Jonathan Vilma, QB Matt Ryan, CB Chris Houston, LB Jon Beason

NFC East: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Redskins

In the interest of full disclosure, I fucking love the Eagles. That said, I think the Birds will win the division because they are the most complete team in the NFC East. My only question is the pass rush, which will be solved by blitzing (RIP Jim Johnson) and like every year, Donovan McNabb. The losses suffered in training camp thus far will be overcome, and the Eagles win the division barely over the Giants. The Giants are arguably just as complete as the Eagles, this ones really a crap shoot. Eli is overrated but solid, and their young receiving core will get some well deserved credit this year after stepping up in the wake of Plax's departure. They just have SO MANY good pass rushers, it's frightening. They can keep a ridiculous rotation and have everyone in there be excellent. The Cowboys are lacking in receivers (imagine saying that same thing at the beginning of last year) and in the secondary. Their corners will get torched, mark my words, torched, if Newman goes down with injury like he has in the past. Even with him, it won't be pretty. They better pray Demarcus Ware has a monster season rushing the QB. Lastly, the Redskins just aren't good. They're not. They have the players to do it, but they won't do it. They just won't. Jason Campbell is average, unimaginative, uncreative, boring, and not gonna get the job done.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: TE Jason Witten, FS LaRon Landry, WR Desean Jackson, SS Quintin Mikell, DT Broderick Bunkley, DE Marcus Spears, DE/DT Chris Canty, WR Steve Smith

NFC West: Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks, Rams

The Cardinals get it done again. They are far, far more complete than any of the other teams in this division. Their pass rush only improves with their young front 7 gaining a year of playoff experience. Normally, I would pick them to finish at least second due to the Superbowl loser stigma, which has the Superbowl loser sucking it up the next year almost always, but this division just lacks the talent to have someone take it from them. Also I have faith in Fitz and the Whiz. The 49ers challenge for the division, but the offense holds them back. Their D, however, kicks some ass this year. The Seahawks run game improves immensely, but they just don't have the talent anymore. Walter Jones is old, Hasselbeck is injury prone, and Deion Branch was a bust of a trade. Housh will not provide the big-play threat that one would expect from a contract of his magnitude. The Rams, although improved, have a longgggg way to go (kind of like me trying to make the Syracuse team) before they can be competitors. Their new head coach, Steve Spagnuolo, will do a fine job, however, and I expect quality in a year or two as their WR's mature.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: WR Donnie Avery, CB Tye Hill, TE John Carlson, T Levi Brown, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, WR Josh Morgan, DE Kentwan Balmer

No comments:

Post a Comment